I've found in this world that there are two kinds of people: those that complain, and those that get things done. Unfortunately it feels like the former far exceeds the latter. And it's very frustrating.

I get it – you're not happy with your lot in life; there's something wrong and it's bugging you and you'd like to share. Nothing wrong with that. But don't keep harping on about it and then not lift a finger to do anything about it. That's just plain inconsiderate.

Consider this: in the amount of time and with the same amount of mental effort it took to come up with an eloquent analogy about how bad coffee is like poor intercourse, you could come up with some ideas about how to improve your sex li-I mean, daily workplace beverage. Sure your boss is going to turn them all down, but by sharing your ideas instead of your complaints, maybe you can rally some support (or sympathy) with your fellow coworkers and perhaps change something in the not-too-distant-future.

Problem solved
Ooh yeah

So why do people not try to solve problems themselves?

  1. They feel that are not empowered to do so.
    Since I'm but a mindless lackey that has the most mundane tasks at work, I doubt anyone will listen to my ideas.
  2. They think they don't have what it takes.
    These ideas suck. People will just laugh at me.
  3. They couldn't care less.
    Eh, what's the point? Not like I have any vested interest here.
  4. They're waiting on the world to change.
    I wish someone else would suggest this awesome thing already. Why has no one said anything?
  5. They're afraid they'll break something.
    Nah, too dangerous. I might click something wrong and break the internet.
  6. They're…shy?
    Can someone else tell everyone my cool idea?

I'm sure there's more reasons. But lecture notes aside, why don't you do what it takes to solve the problems that plague you? It's not that simple, you say? Yes, life is complicated and full of terrors. But really all you're doing is holding yourself back.

You know you develop mentally when you activate that big thing inside your beautifully-shaped cranium, and every time you use it (a.k.a. think) you might just make a couple of new links somewhere. Maybe bridge the gap to nirvana.

Here is the most frustrating thing of all: when someone comes to you with a problem, and they have tried a grand total of zero (0) things to try and fix it themselves. They haven't even tried to think about it; they have no ideas whatsoever. They just want it to go away.

All Out of Ideas
Ah good ol' Simpsons

I'm all for helping people, but sometimes it makes me wonder – do they even consider the fact that they have the power to fix it themselves? Maybe they feel they don't have the authority? Or they're too afraid to try?

In this world there are two kinds of people: those that eat fish, and those that go out and catch some. And you know what I've found? People really love eating fish.

As with the fishing industry in the real world, a handful of people do all the catching, and everyone else does the excruciating duty of devouring them. Alright, there are those other awesome people that do fancy things to said fish that make it even easier and more palatable for those that enjoy downing fish. Man, I'm hungry. Wait, what happened to my analogy?

So if there's one thing I've observed, it's that the people that solve problems keep solving more problems; the people that work hard keep working harder. It's so others don't have to solve those problems and don't have to work as hard. That's simply the way the world works, right?

Well, nuts to that, I say! We need to show people the way – not simply teach them how to fish, but make them nab their own bloody fish! Yes, it's a mildly unpleasant affair, fishing is. But someone has to do it. And the more people joining in the merrier, right?

Too many fishermen
Those poor fish

Now comes the matter of how to encourage people to take matters into their own hands and give a crap. Everyone is capable of solving the problems in the world, which makes it all the more heartbreaking when all some do is add more problems to it. And there is no real middle ground. If you're doing neither, then you're just adding to the problem, because you're using up everyone else's oxygen!

So I leave you with the quintessential question of how to teach people to try to solve their problems in their own capacity? Maybe if we can address some of the fears and factors that prevent people from trying.

I know I haven't provided any concrete solutions here, so perhaps I am but another perpetrator of the very thing which I detest. Hopefully admitting the problem is the first step to change. Ultimately when I depart from this mortal realm, I have but this one simple hope: that in this life I have solved more problems than I've created.

Please follow and like us:

fb-share-icon

Tweet

fb-share-icon